Monday, September 1, 2008

First Day of Teaching

I'm sure it will get easier. I'm learning to talk very slowly and clearly. The kids are good for the most part, just a bit chatty. Well actually really chatty. A few of the sixth graders today surprised me with how well they spoke English. Some things are the same no matter where in the world you are. Faculty meetings are one of those things. I seriously was trying not to laugh as I was getting part of one translated for me today. They have a lot of work and they need to do it well for the students. They also need to be mindful of the accreditation process this year. It means money for the school. It was also a special meeting because there were four new teachers including me. I'm the only English one but it meant we got fruit and rice cakes. The rice cakes weren't like the Styrofoam at home... these were gooey balls filled with sweet paste. They were pretty good actually. The principal said it was a special meeting so not to get used to it.
I'm feeling pretty lucky with my school, lunch was good and I've got friendly administrators. I also have a great co teacher looking out for me. Tomorrow we're going to go work on getting my ARC so I can get a cell phone and a few other things taken care of.

No comments: