Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A day with a Friend (sort of)

I didn't teach today... well I was at school all day at least. I got here at my regular time and did the English broadcast. Then came up stairs figuring that since I wasn't teaching the 4th grade I could finish the lesson plans for the winter camps I was teaching in a week or so. I got to work on them and sent them off by about 10:30. Around the same time one of the 6th grade students showed up. She was bringing me mail from the teachers room. I got two things today first was a Christmas card from Tai and the second was a envelope from my friend Beth. I knew what was in the envelope. It was my copy of Diane Durrett's new book. The other two things on the customs form worried me a little so I took the safer route and opened Tai's card and explained to the student that it was from a friend in the US. She then had to head back to class. I looked at the package a couple of times did I open it, and surely get distracted or leave it closed and finish the work. I did a couple of quick things then grabbed the package and ripped it open. Out came Tales of Beedle Bard, "Driving Music City" from Diane, and a copy of Diane's new cd Blame it on my DNA. Beth had some how managed to sneak past me that the book release was also a cd release. I sent Beth a text saying that the package had gotten here and I was about to crank up the cd on my school computer. Then it was like I was trying to be good but couldn't. I would read a chapter, try to get some work done for next school year, read a chapter and go ok... no more. I ended up not teaching the 6th grade either today. So I read Diane's book this afternoon. It felt like I was hanging out with her someplace with a glass of Cabernet. I'd heard some of the stories from Diane before. Hanging out the last couple of years with Beth and Diane had made me privy to a few tales every now and then.
I'm really missing home now. Not so much Atlanta per say as the people there. I miss my friends. I miss those that have crossed the line from friends to family. I know tonight my upstairs neighbor isn't going to be very happy with me. I'm going to crank up Diane's cd and give it a real good listen.

No comments: