Thursday, April 2, 2009

Korean Bullfights

Last weekend I got together with a mixed group of Expats and Koreans. The group had arranged for 2 buses to go to Cheongdo, where there is a bullfighting festival. I got downtown and found the group and hopped a seat on the bus not sure what I was going to see but knowing that it was important for me to try something new. It's been one of the pieces of advice I got before I left home that I've found to be incredibly valuable. It was just to be open to everything. So even though I had heard lots of people going off about how cruel it would be and that it was wrong. I went with open eyes and an open mind.
There were many things that were typical to Korean festivals as I've learned. There are crowds that shove, food stalls, exhibits, bad singers and dancers. I wasn't there for those I wanted to see the action. We walked around before we went into the stadium and I saw where they were keeping the bulls before hand. It looked like a typical barn. Stalls with roofs, animals tied up so they didn't wander too far and lots of handlers making sure the bulls were ready for the fights. I watched for a minute and saw bulls being lead by ropes, and generally it looked like they were well cared for.
Then we walked into the stadium which was packed. We found some seats near the top with good sight lines to the ring.

Then the bulls were lead out and lined up with each other. Usually they weren't too happy about being near another bull so there was some pawing of the ground and snorting. Then the test of wills would start. It wasn't like they were charging each other they just butted heads and pushed against each other till one gave up and walked away. The one who stood their ground won.


It was interesting to see and hear the crowds cheering for bulls and the trainers were in the ring yelling at them like a corner coach would in a human fight. The ref was there to make sure the animals didn't get hurt and declare the winner.
After that the bulls were checked as they left the ring and another pair was lead in. It seemed fairly harmless... like too big jocks trying to get a cheerleader by showing who was stronger.
After we left the festival we went to a wine tunnel that had previously been a Japanese rail tunnel. It was pretty cool. I liked the persimmon wine and then we got to go back in the storage area where people normally aren't allowed. It's a nice sweet but dry white wine.

I picked up a couple of bottles for my apartment... I figure if I ever get visitors over here it'd be nice to have something other than soju to offer them.

No comments: