Sunday, March 15, 2009

Keeping in Touch while in Korea

I had a couple of fun experiences in the last couple of days that show how easy it is if you want to to stay connected while overseas.

First yesterday on the bus I got the urge to write what was happening as I was riding. Then I was like crap I'm just going to have to retype this to get it from my itouch to my computer where I could post it or do something with it. Then I realized I could email from it to my home account. There is enough free wifi if you look for it to do that easily here. So here is a short bit of a typical bus ride for me.
Making friends on the bus.
It's good to let the little bent over old ladies on first. Then get smiles from the nuns as I stand so they can sit. This street is fun Buddhist shops on the right pet shops on the left. Everyone on the bus wondering what I'm doing typing on my itouch just observing the world. Its funny how normal this ride has become used to be in awe the whole way now it's normal to see everyone and the shops. I look out the window and try to practice what I just learned in Korean class and pick out characters from the signs. Still have a long way to go to get to the point where I can read a whole sign.


I also got to see my nephew the other morning as he was climbing and walking around. A web cam and skype makes keeping up with my family pretty easy. I talk to my parents weekly usually and I can call and see my friends back home, so long as I and they both remember that it's a 13 hour time difference.

Then this morning I got up and uploaded pictures and twitterd about my night. I replied to a friends tweet and got a reply to my gmail chat from a text message. I could text her back thanks to gchat being able to chat to cell phones in the US. If I really wanted to I could have then Skyped her and gotten to talk to her directly.

Between Twitter, Skype, Facebook, and my blogs I can keep everyone at home and they in return can keep me up to date with what is going on, with in reason... not everyone needs to know about that night in the norebang with the soju and the crowd of Expats.
Though they happen to all of us over here.

We also have nice nights like this one.

Happy Birthday Jamari!

No comments: