Monday, April 20, 2009

Spring has Sprung!

I've been busy the last few weeks with traveling to Suwon and keeping up with things down here in Daegu. My school is full of fun moments the current amusement is the students and teachers all practicing for Sports day on May first. From what I've seen of the rehearsals on the field at school I will be dying with laughter before it is over. The whole school does a group exercise that looks like a mix of Tai chi, stretches and tae kwon do.
On Friday I got a Flat Stanley from Kristy who I used to teach with at Benteen. She does the project yearly so I was excited to get to participate finally and be able to share with a few students in the US my experiences over here. I took Stan with me to meet up with Jamari for dinner. He got to see a bit of Downtown Daegu and enjoy a Kraze Burger. I'm going to be taking him around with me for a couple of weeks then I will send him back to Kristi's class with a few things from Korea.
Saturday was Korean class. I'm plodding along in it. I can do somethings pretty well but others I'm having troubles with. I don't really mind that. I've never been great with languages so I'm trying to be forgiving to myself, rather than the usual beating myself but with frustration. After class I took a wander around Daegu to take pictures of some of the spring flowers, and lanterns that are out for the festivals that are coming up.

I should probably mention that I did my renewal application last week. It was fairly easy. I really hope I get to stay here at Boykmyung Elementary. I've really grown to love the students and I enjoy the faculty. They are all trying hard to learn English and I know my struggles with Korean make them feel like I'm really making an effort to understand them better.


No comments: