Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Billy Joel in Seoul

Saturday evening after doing the sardine can thing of riding the subway in Seoul and trying to figure out where in the spaghetti pile of lines we were trying to head. Lesley and I arrived at Olympic Park. If you ever wonder what happens to all of those buildings post Olympics I got a little peak this weekend. They become venues for concerts, showcases and big halls that people have to fill to pay the upkeep. Lesley went and got the tickets I perused the merch cause how many times in your life are you going to go see someone play over seas where when you're back home someone can go hey nice t-shirt, and your answer can be yeah saw him in Seoul, was a good show.
After that was all taken care of and I grabbed some photos of the skylights and a few funny signs we walked into Gymnasium 1. Thank god for all the English being taught here we had a very nice teenager look at our tickets and point us in the right direction. I took some time studying it and figured out what was probably section, seat, etc. After one snafu we found our correct seats and settled in for some people watching, well I did Lesley decided to chatter away incessantly about how this was her first concert ever (um... WTF! 24 never been to a concert?) [side note: Any interest I had in her is now gone and I will be trying to avoid her in the future. Just don't feel like having to babysit someone all the time.]
I realized that the crowd was two main groups Korean business men trying to impress Western business men and GI's who had leave from the bases. It made people watching fun. Billy played for about 2 hours no opener. At one point people rushed the stage and a few songs later when the Korean security tried to get them to sit down Billy stopped playing in the middle of the song and got up asked "What the fuck is going on here, Let them stay, let them stay!" The crowd got to stay near the stage. He then just started up in right where he'd left off.
I also saw a probably between 40-50 yr old Korean woman in a leopard coat just having the time of her life in stilettos dancing against the railing at one point.
Overall the show was fun. My trip to Seoul was ok. I will go up there again, but by myself without others that I end up taking care of cause that was the downer part of the trip.

No comments: