Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Wandering

This afternoon I had one thing I promised myself I would do. I would sit down someplace outside my apartment and write a stack of postcards to folks back home. Why? Because I've been here almost six months and I finally yesterday found some decent postcards at the Taegu National Museum. I also have a strange family who I knew would all feel loved to get something (slightly illegible) from me from halfway around the world.
I headed downtown and started wandering I wanted to find a coffee shop... instead I landed myself in a market I hadn't been in before and felt the energy I'd felt when I first landed here of exploring and discovering new things. After doing a big loop I found a nice coffee shop grabbed a mocha and sat down to write. Ten postcards later I let myself have a break to come home. Tomorrow I'm going to one of the two traditional markets with my camera to try and take some pictures. Before I get to go there I have to go and sit someplace again and write probably another 10 postcards.
I love wandering and discovering new places in Taegu. Does it take a bit of a leap to do so? yeah, but it's worth it. It's a bit of a leap to trust ones self that you can always find something you recognize so you're not completely lost. I kept seeing Taegu Station over the buildings so I knew that I could find a subway if I needed it. Would I have known that six months ago... nope. Now it's easy. I guess that's why the learning curve is getting easier. I have some basics and I've gotten better about trusting my instincts about which alleys to go down to find cool little shops. I know I would drive most people crazy with my rambling ways but it's fun... if I ever manage to find people who can put up with it I'll know I've found a travel partner.
Now back to my relaxing evening.

No comments: