Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving Abroad

This is my third Thanksgiving spent here in Korea. The first I celebrated with a good friend and a turkey sub... then a few days later a "traditional" dinner with new friends. Last year I celebrated with 3 of my closest friends over here. It was probably the closest to home it's ever felt like here. Even if we were eating a fancy dinner at a hotel. This year I'm going to cook a turkey burger and a sweet potato and call it a night.

I've said before and I'll say it again this is the hardest day of the year for me to be away from home. I miss friends and family. I miss eating my Mom's sweet potato casserole. This year I was prepared for those feelings. Thankfully unlike the first year I was here lunch at school was something I really liked. The principal also remembered that this wasn't the easiest day for me so she stopped by to check on me and wish me a happy thanksgiving. Sometimes it's the little things. Even my co-teachers didn't remember that today was a holiday for me. Christmas and New Years we get the days off so it's not as rough. I can skype friends and family and get a feeling of closeness with the ones I love. Thanksgiving I have to work. Today I'm teaching 5 classes at 3 different levels. Which is good it's keeping me busy. I also worked out the schedule so I didn't have to talk about Thanksgiving with the students today. It's all about the planning with this sort of thing.

I took a challenge from an old friend this month. List one thing I'm thankful everyday. It hasn't been easy. It has however reminded me that I am truly lucky and blessed. Which is what Thanksgiving is about at the root. Not the food. Not the football. Not the Parade. Being Thankful for what you have been given.
So here is my partial list... still have a few days to go.

1: My family, that I have parents who love and support me no matter what crazy idea I come up with.

2: Danny D: She's been there for me through just about everything and continues to be. She's my longest relationship outside of my biological family and most likely the first person to hear any major news in my life.

3: My students both past and present, they make me want to be a better teacher and add joy to my life.

4: My job, even if I do complain about my current co teacher, I have to say I'm very thankful that I have a job and it's one that I love. Too many people I know currently are unable to find work much less work that they love. I'm grateful that I have both.

5: Today I am thankful for quiet Friday afternoons where I can both nap at my desk and plan for the next week.

6: Fast and cheap trains here in Korea... easiest way to get to Seoul for the weekend.

7. NMH even if I haven't been the best Alumni for a while. Somethings are the same whenever you get a group of us together regardless of class, culture or language.

8. Hot Cocco on a cold morning.

9. Adam for his ability to make me laugh at myself and get past all the polite stuff to the basics...( ie. you just want someone to help you stay warm in the cold months. )

10. A thermos full of hot tea on cold and windy mornings. Works to warm both the insides and the hands.

11. Former students who remind me that I am a good teacher.

12. Ash for being the best little sister I never had. (Your Mama raised you right! Even if she hasn't quite grasped that you love and support your child no matter what.)

13. Relaxing weekends where you can sleep in till noon if you want to.

14. Crayons, markers, and being not so serious.

15. Living some place where I don't need to own a car.

16. Having colleagues around the world who inspire me.

17. The little 3rd grader who comes up to me every morning and grabs my hand as we walk to school and she practices her English.

18. That my eldest cousin had a healthy baby boy.

19.That I have a family that keeps growing.

20. Red wine and good friends

21. Being able to take multiple naps in a single day.

22.That one of my former college roommates and sorority sisters had a healthy baby girl.

23. My nephew Dylan... I don't get to see him much but I am thankful every day that he is a healthy and happy little boy.

24. Not the best thing to be thankful for but... it's official my current co-teacher will be leaving the school at the end of the term!

25. Family who has learned to not worry too much about me traveling the world.


Happy Thanksgiving from the land of kimchi.

No comments: